The first paper to present ray-tracing for computation of energy-time
responses of real room was presented by Krokstad et al. in 1968
. While the original work dealt with only specular
reflections, Kuttruff presented how to implement diffuse reflections
in ray-tracing . Heinz was the first to use shadow
rays to enhance computation of the diffuse part by shadow rays, the
technique also called as 'diffuse rain' .
The main principles of cone-tracing were presented by Haviland and
Thanedar in 1973 . It was later further developed
by van Maercke , and also by Vorländer
, whose technique applied receivers with increasing
radius. The pyramidal beams were introduced originally by Walsh et
al in 1980 , and used also by Stephenson in 1996
. The concept of frustum tracing was presented
later in 2007 by Lauterbach et al .
-  A Krokstad, S Strøm, and S Sørsdal. Calculating the acoustical room response by the use of a ray tracing technique.
J. Sound Vib. , 8(1):118–125, 1968.
-  H. Kuttruff. Simulierte Nachhallkurven in Rechteckräumen mit diffusem Schallfeld (Simulated Reverberation Curves in Rectangular Rooms with Diffuse Sound Fields).
Acustica , 25(6):333–342, 1971.
-  R Heinz. Entwicklung und Beurteilung von computergestützten Methoden zur binauralen Raumsimulation .
PhD thesis, RWTH Aachen, Germany, 1994.
-  J K Haviland and B D Thanedar. Monte Carlo applications to acoustical field solutions.
J. Acoust. Soc. Am. , 54(6):1442–1448, 1973.
-  D van Maercke and J Martin. The prediction of echograms and impulse responses within the Epidaure software.
Applied Acoustics , 38(2-4):93–114, 1993.
-  M Vorländer. Simulation of the transient and steady-state sound propagation in rooms using a new combined ray-tracing/image-source algorithm.
J. Acoust. Soc. Am. , 86(1):172–178, 1989.
-  J Walsh. The design of Godot: a system for computer-aided room acoustics modeling and simulation.
In 10th Int. Congress on Acoustics (ICA'80) , Sydney, Australia, 1980.
-  U Stephenson. Quantized pyramidal beam tracing - a new algorithm for room acoustics and noise immission prognosis.
Acta Acust. Acust. , 82(3):517–525, 1996.
-  C Lauterbach, A Chandak, and D Manocha. Interactive sound rendering in complex and dynamic scenes using frustum tracing.
IEEE Trans. on Visualization and Computer Graphics , 13(6):1672–1679, 2007.
© 2016 Lauri Savioja